Healthy, Organic Chicken from Tide Mill Organic Farm
During the pasturing season (this year is looking like the end of May - October), we raise our chickens within a rotationally grazed system with our dairy cattle. The chickens are raised within a "chicken tractor" that is an enclosed box without a floor. This gives them protection from predators, such as fox, coyote, raccoons, eagles and owls. It allows them to eat fresh grass and spread their manure directly on the field, fertilizing our pastures. The dairy cows graze a few days to a few weeks ahead of our chicken tractors, eating the grass down to ideally a 3 inch level. The height of the grass is important so the birds can maximize their grazing and the chickens can help control parasites in our cows.
Our birds are given access to fresh, green pasture, certified organic grains, seaweed, mineral supplements, fresh water, and plenty of bugs. We pay attention to health of our birds and raise our chickens with care and respect. We do not give them any antibiotics or growth hormones.
During the non-pasturing season (November through May) our birds live in our custom heated hoophouse. It has radiant floor heating to keep the birds nice and toasty and the greenhouse plastic lets in plenty of natural light. The birds have ample space and an doors that give them the choice to go outside, but to be honest, the birds are so warm and comfortable inside, most of them stay in. We look forward to the pasture season, but feel lucky to be able to give the birds a great environment to live in the winter time to be able to offer fresh, organic chicken year round.
We process our birds on farm and we assure you of the care taken to harvest and process the birds. With our new processing facility they can now be Air Chilled! They are clean and as beautiful as a raw chicken in a package can be!
Our Cornish Cross chickens weigh between 3 1/2 and 5 pounds. We are currently harvesting fresh chicken every week and have plenty of whole birds and a variety of cuts available for sale.
|Whole Chicken: Heart, Liver, & Neck Included||$5.15/lb||Available|
|Half chickens and Leg/Thigh Quarters||$5.50/lb||Available|
|Drumsticks and Wings||$5.00/lb||Available|
|Backs (with necks)||$2.00/lb.||Available|
Taste the Tide Mill Organic Chicken Difference
- Our birds taste fabulous. Their full, rich flavor reflects the care given to the quality of their healthy, respected lives.
- During the pasture season, our birds are raised on fresh, green pasture, foraging every day. From November through May, our birds live in a hoophouse allowing natural sunlight and plenty of space and access to the outdoors.
- Our birds are fed certified organic grains, ensuring to the fullest extent there is no genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in our chicken.
- Our birds have access to fresh air and clean water for their entire lives.
- Our birds are given seaweed and mineral supplements, whose benefit is passed on to you with increased vitamin and mineral content.
- Our birds are not given any growth hormones or antibiotics.
- Our birds are part of the whole farm ecosystem on Tide Mill Farm, a diverse family farm that has spanned nine generations on the shores of Cobscook Bay.